Ashley Church circa 1954
The property on Ashley Avenue and Canyon Highlands was purchased 1953 for $600.00. The church dedication was held on January 31, 1954. Reverend Edwin C. Sohn was pastor from 1955 until 1960. In 1960, Reverend William J. Faust assumed the pastoral responsibilities until 1965. Reverend George Berg served as pastor from 1965 until 1968. The years from 1969 until 1973, Reverend Richard Tietjen was the pastor of Calvary Lutheran Evangelical Church. Several pastors served until Pastor Benke arrived on July 1, 1973. He was the first full time pastor. A Christian preschool was started in 1977. Pastor Ista arrived in 1981. In the early 1980s the property on Foothill Blvd and Edgewood Dr. was purchased. Construction was begun in March of 1987. During the ground preparation phase of construction, Indian artifacts, from the Maidu tribe, were discovered on the property, near where a wing of the building was to be. The artifacts consisted of holes on the large rocks that are scattered around the property and the area that was to become Country Crest.